Things to do
Summer and Fall
- Boating, Kayaking or Canoeing are the very best in summer months.
- Garden Tours are a wonderful thing to do if you are a garden lover. The Butchart Gardens are a splendor to behold anytime. We also have the Milner Gardens in Qualicum, Des Kennedy on Denman Island, and here in Yellow Point we have our lovely annual garden tour in June.
- Farm Markets: Cedar Farm Market on Sundays is just down the road, Nanaimo has Wednesday afternoons and Friday mornings, Saltspring on Saturdays is a must see, and Duncan on Saturdays is year round! All relatively close by
- McNabs Farm, just down the road has lovely ‘Peaches and Cream’ corn to purchase right at the farm, and their maze for kids is open early fall.
- Parksville Sand Sculptures: Wow, this is a spectacular event and a must see if you come in July
- Wine tasting and tours are a fun way to check out local flavors in our Cowichan Valley. Some of the best wines are made locally.
- Whalewatching in Victoria a day trip and Telegraph Cove, an overnight trip.
- Fishing on the Straight of Georgia, or the West Coast for Springs, Coho and Sockeye.
- Swimming here in our pool or beach and in Nanaimo is Pipers Lagoon, Ladysmith is Transfer beach sandy, shady, grassy… and of course Parksville and Qualicum have miles of sandy beaches to play on.
- Fishing and crabbing: You can fish or crab right off our the dock or fish fresh water fish nearby, for bass or trout well stocked Quennel Lake, 3 miles down the road. Oysters and clams exist in the adjoining Blue Heron bay during most of the year. Please check for local tide conditions and regulations.
- Bungy jumping: Teenagers can enjoy the excitement of famous local Bungy jumping. Over 120,000 people have bungy jumped without incident in the world famous “Bungy Zone”, 10 minutes away by car. When booking, ask us for a map and contact information for these activities. Just watching the action at the Bungy Zone is a thrill for children and teenagers alike. See the local Map on how to find us.
Winter and Spring
- Skiing at Mt. Washington
- Whale watching in Victoria and Telegraph Cove
- Yellowpoint Lodge Suppers
- Parks and Trails locally and all over the Island
- Diving is fantastic in Winter
- Christmas Craft Tours in Yellowpoint and throughout the Gulf Islands
- Fishing at it’s best in the Strait, or on the West Coast
- Touring the Island provides so many places to see and things to do
- Storm watching in Tofino
- Butchart Gardens Twelve Days of Christmas garden tour is absolutely stunning, and after the hearty walk, enjoy food and drink in their restaurants.
- Ladysmith Lightup, last Thursday of November.
- Good Restaurants and Pubs are 10 minutes away. The Mahle House for gourmet, and the Crow and Gate for English style fare. In town check out Asteras Greek Taverna, Delicados for lunch, the Lighthouse Bistro or Dingydock Pub all great menus and fun places to be.
- Trails are abounding very near by in Yellow Point park, Roberts Memorial, or in Nanaimo proper there is Westwood lake, the beautiful Sea Wall walk in down town, and hiking trails throughout Mt. Benson. Check out the link!
- Golf is a year round sport in Central Vancouver Island and we feature all ranges of clubs. Cottonwood and Eaglequest are nearby, and Nanaimo and Nanoose are two other favourites.
- Travel to all parts of the Island is very accessible from Blue Moon Condos. Consider us your base camp, and go from there.
- Local Rec centers offer all kinds of activities, and of course Nanaimo and Ladysmith are rich with Service Clubs so if you belong come along!
- Vancouver Island University VIU is very close to us in Yellow Point so if you are attending classes we offer affordable accommodation at Blue Moon Condos
- Famous local diving waters …and here are nature’s examples why:
Diving is a year round past time in these coastal waters, but they say nothing beats the winter dives for all marine life from colorful to real live things…